Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

Ode to Spouse!

Every so often a client will ask me if it bothers me being married and doing what I do for a living. I usually come up with some clever retort, like, "it usually comes in handy right up until my wife gets tired of arguing and just beats the crap out of me!" The truth is I don't want to upset them with the real answer- it doesn't bother me a bit.

Maybe I could be more honest with them if I could articulate how I manage to work 50 to 60 hours per week amongst the wreckage of a failed or failing marriages without losing confidence in my own. Unfortunately, I can't articulate it - all I have to do is look at my beautiful wife Stephanie who married me seven years ago today and I know I can do it.

I suppose I could have Stephanie drive from her office to mine every time I meet with the new client so they can see what I'm talking about, but I think after a while my joke about her beating me might become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe someday I'll find the right words to explain how having your perfect mate wake up with you every morning and be there for you every night gives you the power and the freedom to face anything that comes your way. Until then, I guess I'll just have to keep being clever. Happy anniversary, honey, I love you so much!